Naturally Healthy is a health & lifestyle coaching program provided by us at Outfit Namibia since June 2014. Dunja Berger, Managing Partner of Outfit Namibia, has a health coaching qualification from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, New York. (IIN), where she studied integrative nutrition theories,coaching practices and has been exposed to all major dietary theories worldwide.
There is no “one size fits all” solution to eating. As IIN puts it, “one man’s food, is another man’s poison” and so it is for life. What works for you, might not work for your parents, your boyfriend/girlfriend or next door neighbor. We’re individuals, with complex bodies and varying nutritional needs. We can’t all follow the same diet, although diet authors beg to differ. So rather than following the latest fad in dieting, its best to go with what’s right for you and your body!
As health coaching is still relatively new in Africa, here is some more info relating to it’s definition, purpose and relevance to you:
What is a Health Coach?
A Health Coach specializes in empowering people to take responsibility for their own health and supports them to implement & sustain lifestyle and behavioural changes that will contribute to the achievement of their personal wellness goals! (IIN, 2013)
Who Can Benefit from Health Coaching
– The Emotional Eater : You know you’re not hungry, but food fills a void you’re only too happy to fill!
– The Addict : Sugary Treats/ Fast Foods /Toxic People – you know they’re bad for you, but you just can’t help yourself!
– The Adrenaline Junkie: Addicted to the high that caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes, prescription drugs or chocolate gives you?
– The Workaholic: To dedicated to your work for home-cooked meals & meditation and to busy to care…
– The Weight Watcher: You count your calories, you eat non-fat foods and you’re nowhere near your ideal body weight!
– The Victim: Everyone’s responsible for your life’s happiness or lack thereof, except you…
The truth is, we all love to indulge in unhealthy foods & toxic relationships. We all love to use food to celebrate the highs and lows of life. We often grab convenience foods instead of preparing home-cooked meals for our families. And everyone has been on a diet to loose weight or gain control of bad eating habits, at one point in their lives. Only to realize that the weight isn’t disappearing and neither are the emotions that made one gain weight to begin with!
The truth is, we use food and bad lifestyle habits to avoid facing the emotions our thoughts are creating based on what we are experiencing in our reality. We choose to create these drama’s for ourselves, because it lets us avoid taking charge of what’s really bothering us. Sound familiar? You’re not alone, that’s why a health coach can help!
How is coaching different from seeing a psychologist/dietician?
A clear difference between psychotherapy and coaching is therapy focuses on a problem while coaching focuses on the solution, driven by the client’s inner strength and wisdom.(Wikipedia,2014)
A health coach doesn’t replace the role of a dietician, but has various differences in its approach. Health coaching fills the role of the mentor, is client driven, and doesn’t diagnose or treat, but rather assesses the overall wellbeing, incorporating factors like relationships, career, physical exercise, spiritual practice, education, finances etc in addition to the client’s health.
What a Health Coach Doesn’t Do
A Health Coach does not replace any medical practitioner, but acts as a missing link – the patient guide- that helps develop strategies to enact real, lasting lifestyle changes that address not only the diagnostic label (i.e. pre-diabetic ; obese), but also serve to enhance the person’s overall wellbeing. (IIN, 2013)
A Health Coach does not diagnose, treat, or take responsibility for bringing about wellness in a person’s life, but rather guides and supports the development & progress towards each person’s health & lifestyle goals.
How Health Coaching Can Benefit You!
- Health Coaching can identify why your body is in discomfort & pain
- It can detect food sensitivities and allergies, you didn’t know you had
- It can help you take charge of your food cravings & figure out what they really mean
- Health Coaching helps you to quit bad lifestyle habits that harm your health & happiness
- A health coach motivates you to loose weight & teaches you how to keep it off for good
- A health coach finds a diet/ eating plan best suited to your individual body & lifestyle needs
- It focuses not only on eating habits, but also on how your relationships, career, spirituality,home environment, finances, joy, social life, creativity, health and physical activity influences your lifestyle choices!
More importantly, a health coach is your mentor, confidante and right hand in whatever health & lifestyle goals you wish to achieve and haven’t had the courage, strength or motivation to achieve on your own!
What are you waiting for?
Book your FREE HEALTH HISTORY consultation today and find out how health coaching can benefit you!